There are basically four materials in low cost recycle that give it a bad name. Ink, stickies, plastics and ash. Sorted office waste and DLK have less of these unwanted materials but has a higher cost due to collection, sorting and quantity of good fiber. Availability also has an impact on cost. Added operating costs of recycle, normally blamed on stickies and ink, always impact overall profitability. These indirect expenses are lower production due to slower speeds and downtime, poor quality due to spots and holes, lower brightness, lower yield, cleaning and control chemistries and poor process water quality should be a consideration.
This is not news to anyone using recycle...
An alternative approach: Clean and condition lower quality recycle to a more “virgin-like” state.
Enessco does exactly this. It is a pulper chemistry that increases contaminant removal in the existing stock prep system. Imagine making paper with virgin fiber. What problems disappear? Basically, everything mentioned above. Enessco can not turn lead into gold, but it can make recycle papermaking more profitable and less problematic. Allowing the use of lower cost wastepaper without the issues.
- Performance of lower cost, lower quality furnish with Enessco is actually better than the performance of more expensive, better quality wastepaper alone.
- The cost of lower quality furnish with the cost Enessco is lower than the cost of higher graded recycle alone. Lower cost furnish is at a minimum $10 per ton less then upgraded recycle. Adding a program cost of $2 per ton would still give a savings of $8 per ton. At just a 10% substitution level there would be substantial savings.
Enessco Philosophy: Double the contaminant removal in stock prep and improve yield.
Hundreds of thousands of dollars were spent on pulpers, screening, cleaners, flotation, hot dispersion units and other equipment in stock prep. Rather than utilize both coarse and fine equipment, some expect contaminants to be handled only by fine screens, lightweight cleaners and other small particle cleaning equipment. Enessco, unlike any other technology, keeps contaminants large to be eliminated in raggers, detrashing, coarse screening. One large contaminant, for example labels and tape, is easier to remove l than a thousand small bits of these contaminants chopped up. Why not use coarse expensive equipment to do more cleaning and reduce the overload on fine equipment.? Utilizing the entire system improves the efficiency of contaminant removal, usually by double. Enessco also modifies the behavior of contaminants so lightweight cleaners distinguish between fiber and stickies. The result is higher rejection of contaminants without losing fiber, an improvement of yield by at least one or two percentage points is typical.
The overall result is cleaner, stronger and longer fiber with less fines, higher yield and less passing through of stickies to the machine.
Simple Application: Add unopened bag to the recycle pulper.
Enessco is a 100% dry product. Dosage costs are $1.50 to $2.00 per ton of recycle.
Enessco pays for itself: Cost justifications
- 1 to 3 percentage point increase
- Better separation of fiber and contaminants reduces good fiber disposal from all reject streams
- Lower cost Fiber Substitution
- 10 to 80% increase in lower quality fiber usage due to improved contaminant removal
- Increased Production
- Better quality fiber, less fines allows for better forming, pressing and drying thus machine runs faster.
- 80% reduction of stickies related breaks
- Typical 5% production increase in Brown grades, 10% production increase in Deinked Grades
- Reduce Bad Quality Paper – 80% to 100% improvement
- Appearance improves with less spots
- Level of Stickies reduced producing less splices and breaks
- Micro-stickies detackified
- Possible strength improvement due to better fiber quality/less fines
- 2 to 3 points brightness improvements if ink recirculation in process water loop is an issue
- Reduce Stickies Related Chemical Programs
- Reduce or eliminate Solvent and/or Caustic wash-ups
- Eliminate Enzymes
- Eliminate Pulper Chemistries, i.e. Caustic, Surfactants
- Eliminate Talc, Bentonite, Diatomaceous earth, etc.
- 50% reduction of frequency and time
- Similar reduction for wash-ups which leads to increased fabric life.
- Reduce Converting Problems and Complaints
- Elimination or reduction of Stickies related Splices
- Detackified micro-stickies eliminate converting equipment deposition
- Less complaints
- Potential of increased sales/share of market
Fiber quality: Enessco vs other control chemistries
Enessco contains a powerful surfactant and an inorganic salt as its main ingredients. The surfactant works in the pulper to rehydrate the already dried fibers. Stickies and in fact ALL hydrophobic contaminants cannot adhere to a wet surface. This promotes fast clean separation of fiber and large contaminants which then are more easily removed. The fibers being rehydrated are longer with fibrils that are relaxed and available to promote better bonding. Pulping with Enessco is much less aggressive and this discourages fines production. In some cases 15% less fines are produced. Other chemistries have no effect on fiber. The result is a stronger sheet that allows the papermachine to run faster.
Stickies Changes: Chemical modifications
The inorganic salts in Enessco chemically modify all hydrophobic materials by reducing the Van der Wals forces and thus detackifying them. This modification allows BOTH screens and cleaners to differentiate between good fiber and contaminant and rejects substantially more contaminants out of the system, while detackifying micro stickies that can pass through to the machine. The result is less downtime for breaks and washups on the papermachine.
Process water importance: The life blood of the mill.
By removing contaminants from the process in stock prep process water is cleaner. When the mill restarts with primarily fresh water throughout the system everything runs better for the short term. However, as contaminants cycle up this soon ends. By reducing the equilibrium of hydrophobic material with Enessco, process water quality is maintained substantially. There are photos in our website showing the huge improvements in process water quality.
Enessco International has one product.
Over the last 30 years with hundreds of trials and applications, Enessco has never failed in producing results. Over the years several upgrades have been made, but the philosophy has always been the same. Keep the contaminants large and remove them from the system. It always works!
Our website, www.enessco.com , has much more information on How it works, case histories and pictures of results.